Monday, October 6, 2014

ON YOUR MARKS, GET SET, GO!

A little over a year ago our church  sponsored a 5K run.I decided to sign up for it along with our entire staff. Although, I had never been a runner before I decided to go for it. I'm mean, come on, how hard can a 5K be, right? (Even with no training). Well, as I found out it's extremely hard when you don't train! I hate to admit it but I ended up walking about 70% of the race. Needless to say I was tired, sore, and more than a little embarrassed. The fact is, running is really no different than most things in life. If you want to be good, then you have to spend the time necessary to practice, train, and prepare. SO…after that initial 5K I decided I was going to become a runner. Let's see, what did do first?

I went to the closest "Runners" store; bought new tennis shoes, new shorts, and yes, new socks that went up to my knee. (I'm sure I get a lot of funny looks when I wear them running). I bought Jeff Galloway's book on running (he's considered one of the guru's on proper training for running). I figured if I'm going to be a runner then I owed to myself to at least try and run the right way (and try and look good too)! What a journey it's been. After about 6 months of what seemed like torture; I discovered that practice, consistency, and perseverance really does pay off. I started to see improvement in my time, my pace, and how I was feeling over all. I had dropped about 25 pounds and felt better than ever! Since I first started running and since that initial run a little over 13 months ago, I've run in the December Rush 10 K with my son, and the Seattle Rock N Roll 1/2 marathon race with my daughter-in-law; finishing both races without stopping. (Yeah!) I'm continuing to train as I hope to run in the Seattle Marathon in November of this year. 

Interestingly, along the way I've learned some incredible insights about running and life. One, if you really want to be a good runner you have to be willing to run in both good and bad weather. I can't tell you how many times leading up to my 10K and 1/2 Marathon races I wanted to excuse myself from running due to wet, windy, and cold weather. (More times than I care to admit). Fortunately, most of the time I didn't, which helped tremendously during my 10K and 1/2 Marathon races.
 
Secondly, I discovered if you wanted to be a good runner you had to fight through "sore muscles", "sore feet", "aching back", "toenails that came off" "blisters" and a lot of other "sorenesses" that I didn't even know existed! (Again, all of that helped prepare for my future races). It was painful but I'm so glad I was able to fight through it.
 
And then thirdly, I discovered the joy and feeling of accomplishment that comes when you put in the hard work of training, fighting through fatigue, and staying committed to the process for what it takes to become a good runner. Interestingly, no matter how long you run those three things never go away. Staying with the process allows you to build upon your wins along the way.

You may not be a runner, but the three insights apply across the board. No matter what you choose to do in life, you have to keep going even when conditions are good or bad. Sometimes you have to push through when your tired and exhausted physically and mentally. And eventually you will reap the rewards of all your hard work.

Are you ready to run?  Let's go!
 
Pastor Dave